Sunday, December 15, 2013

Advent Day 15: And There Were Shepherds

Dad and I sat on the tailgate of his truck and waited.  The night air was warm enough to be out without a coat.  The old maple on the hill cast a dim shadow from the light of the moon.

"Oh! There's one! Did you see it?" I asked, pointing to the sky. The meteor shower was supposed to be clearest in the darkest of night.  It was still early, by that standard, but already the falling stars had begun to dash across the sky.  Each one sent a jolt to my heart.  "Wow," I said.  "So beautiful."

The tip of Dad's cigarette glowed orange in the night.  He took a draw and then exhaled the smoke off to the side away from me.  Summer's night sounds surrounded us, a silence that was everything but silent, a silence whirring with the hum of insects, the rustle of summer leaves, our breathing in and out.

In the middle of the silence, we watched the sky and waited for more flickering, fleeting glimpses of a space beyond our world.

"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.'" - Luke 2:8-12

Advent Activity: Lingro Family Christmas
We are heading up north to celebrate Christmas with my mom's side of the family, and I am roasting my first turkey.  Yee!  Wish me luck; it's a 20 pounder.

1 comment:

  1. a 20 pounder?! sheesh. I have yet to roast a turkey. I think I'd like to deep fry one. Go big or go home, baby!

    ReplyDelete