Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent Day Five: Take a Winter Walk

Today's advent activity is supposed to be "Take a winter walk."  It is at least cold enough today to call it winter, but I'm a little bummed that I put this on the calendar before looking at an extended forecast.  It would be much more fun to do this with snow.  I think it'll still be fun, since by the time we get home it'll be dark out.  I thought about taking them into the woods with flashlights for our winter walk, but maybe too scary?

I love to walk outside in the winter and don't do it nearly enough.  Get all bundled up in your coats and hats and mittens, and then breathe in the cold, crisp air.  Ahhhh.  Maybe we'll sing some Christmas carols as we walk, too.

I suppose I should figure out what we'll eat for dinner after our winter walk.  It might be a Paleo-cheat night at Pizza Hut.  Lydia has another Book-It gift certificate.

Here's a poem from Robert Frost about a winter wood, from the Poetry Foundation's site:
By Robert Frost 1874–1963 Robert Frost
 
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment