Saturday, March 10, 2012

First World Problems: An Encounter with Infomercials

Excerpts from tonight's airing of THE PRICE OF SEX: A documentary on human trafficking. 

"I was locked inside without a passport.  I was inside all the time.  I wasn't allowed out.  Even the windows were shut.  We were always working.  Sometimes 50 clients a day.  I have the same thoughts now that I did then: I wish I'd never been born.  I'd be better off dead than living like this."

Does the sun make your deck or patio so unbearingly hot that you can't use it?  Are you stuck inside on beautiful sunny days? I discovered that a SunSetter retractable awning is the perfect solution, and here's why...Call now, and save!

"'It was the Muslim holiday of Ramadan and the Turkish men are not allowed to have sex with anyone but their wives.  So we had no clients.  I woke up, got dressed.  I went to the balcony and the door was open.  I went down the pipe.  But I didn't get very far.' She jumped, falling three floors. When she woke up, Jenya couldn't feel anything below her waist.  She spent nearly a month in the hospital but before she could receive surgery, the pimps were allowed to take her back to the brothel... no one cared that she was partially paralyzed from the fall, or that she defecated on herself.  The clients continued coming, it was business as usual."

Just when you think you have enough space, your things grow.  It gets cramped, cluttered, and out of control.  But now there's a smart solution for storing too much stuff and not enough space.  SpaceBag Vacuum Seal storage bags... Everything stays compressed, AND protected.  Guaranteed to keep out dirt, bugs, and moisture.

"There were girls who had been there for six months, a year, three years... They got used to it.  What's to like there?  That everyone violates and tortures you?  A man gets on top of you, does his business, gets off, and leaves.  It's pure evil.  Plain and simple."

Oh, dear. Oh, dear!  Ooh, dear.  I'm not exactly sure what happened here last night.  I was out helping people save money on car insurance.  Geico, fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.

"As you can see, on all the corners are the police, the pimps, and the girls... When you go into the brothels, what's the first thing you see?  First?  Meat... But that's not the right question.  Not the first but the last... the last thing you see... is pain... Those girls are new entries.  They're so young.  Yeah, no more than 20... Fifteen years ago Erina was trafficked to Athens.  Men aren't the only ones to blame.  As the saying goes: If you lift your skirt, the man will come.  I can't be alone.  I can't.  I gotta talk to beat the blues.  When you feel sad, what do you do?  What do I do?  I cry and cry, go out for a smoke... I think... But mostly I go and lie down so I can stop thinking.  I offered to take Erina back to Bulgaria, to the children she left behind.  She turned my offer down."

The sun used to make our outdoor deck and patio space so hot and uncomfortable you couldn't use it.  But then we discovered the SunSetter retractable awning!  Our SunSetter retractable awning opens and closes in 60 seconds.  It keeps our patio about 20 degrees cooler!  It provides instant shade--and instant protection--from the sun's harmful rays.  And our SunSetter cost under $700.  But now, you can get your SunSetter for as little as $499 when you call now to get this special $200 certificate...Life is better under a SunSetter!

"Who were the clients?  Who?  Arabs, Moldovans, Russians, British, Americans, everyone.  Everyone. Hindus, Pakistans.  From the lowest class to the highest.  Understand? ..."

"Men here prefer the new girls who have been used less.  Their bosses slip drugs and ecstasy into their drinks so that the girls are flirtier and more fun.  //  What? Am I saying too much?..."

"Criminals avoid prosecution, it's the women who bear the burden.  Alessia chose to deal with the consequences.  'I will tell my son. They'll say, 'Oh, your mom was like that.' Of course now he doens't understand but when he's grown up, I'll be ashamed.'"

Sometimes your dog really is your best friend, but not when you are driving around a bend. You tell him to stay, but all he wants to do is play!  Introducing the Click N Stay! The ultimate solution to keeping your dog in his seat, so you can be safe and secure in yours...


"The Price of Sex" is written, directed and produced by Mimi Chakarova.  Visit www.priceofsex.org to find out how you can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment