Monday, July 4, 2011

For Freedom

"I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts." Psalm 119:45
"Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful.  Mercy triumphs over judgment." James 2:12-13

"In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence." Ephesians 3:12

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17

"Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God's slaves.  Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor." 1 Peter 2:16-17

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." Galations 5:1

"You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free.  But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love." Galatians 5:13

Isn't freedom beautiful?

These verses remind me that freedom in and of itself is to be valued, but possessing this freedom comes with responsibility.  Yes, we're free to do whatever we want, but that doesn't mean we should do whatever we want.  Today, I am celebrating the freedom in Christ from guilt and shame, the freedom to work toward the best version of myself through Christ, and the freedom to do so in a nation that does not persecute me for proclaiming the name of Christ.  I am celebrating the freedom to choose good over evil, to serve humbly in love.  I am thankful to those who serve to preserve freedom.  Today, I am celebrating with family, and friends, and BBQ, and watermelon, and wine, and fireworks.  Enjoy your Independence!

No comments:

Post a Comment