Thursday, November 6, 2008

Gimme All Your Lovin'

Is there anything more moving than your child saying, "I love you too, Mom"? Is there? What could be better than saying goodnight and I love you and getting that reply? This is why we change diapers. This is why we cook meals and then make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when they don't want ravioli. This is why we scold. This is why we discipline. This is why we snuggle. This is why we teach them how to be human. Oh, that blissful moment of reward! Thank you, Lord, for showing me what it must be like to be yelled at, screamed at, to receive the look of distaste and bitterness and anger and lack of understanding, only to be loved again, to receive in its turn some sense of appreciation or adoration. I see, now. I see. I see how you keep giving, and giving, and giving, and sometimes it takes us days or weeks or months, even years, even a lifetime, to hear those words -- I love you, too, Lord. Gratitude and thankfulness are not needed, sacrifice and payment shunned -- just love me back. Love me. I just want your love, child.

1 comment: