Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Recomposed

It is my great delight to reintroduce Sarah Wells, wife and mother, recomposed.

A long weekend including a trip to the Great Geauga County Fair (really, the Great one, not the Mediocre one), adult-time with the husband, a complimentary Japanese Steakhouse meal that was complimentary only after ordering such delectable plates as steak and shrimp and steak and scallops, and an elegant wedding and reception and brunch to wrap it up brought Sarah back to sanity in many ways. And for lack of a really great word - I am happy.

I am a wedding crier. I didn't think I was, really, until these last two weddings. The bride in her beauty, the atmosphere of a dimly-lit church and stained glass and Pachelbel, the grandmother's slow shuffle up the aisle, the dad's arm around his daughter's... goodbye, mascara, hello raccoon eyes. Both weddings we attended the last two weeks have served as catalysts for inspiring warm feelings and gratitude toward my husband. Five years already, and though this last one has been the hardest, I love him deeply - beyond his frustration and anger at the current situation, beyond all of this muck of day-to-day tasks - I forgot how much fun we have together. Especially when we can sleep in the next day...

The kids were glad to see us yesterday, and we wrapped up the weekend by taking them to the park to feed the ducks and climb the playground. Those ducks are getting awful bold. I feared for my children's lives as dozens of ducks waddled out of the water to apparently peck our eyes out until we gave up the stale hot dog buns. We fled for cover, and though they followed for a while, once they realized the bread crumbs were leaving they gave up the pursuit. Thank God.

In other news, I have been corresponding all weekend with an editor at a literary journal about a poem. We've been revising it together and I am hoping with all sorts of high expectations that it will actually get in the next issue of their magazine. Would he really waste so much of his precious time working through a revision if he didn't intend to publish it? This, by the way, will make me a Published Author. Yea, like I even get to submit my bio and photo 'n' stuff. We have high hopes for you, kid - you've got real potential.

Back to my real job now...

1 comment: